THIS IS FICTION, GOVERNMENT REPORT ON MISSING PERSONS

editor
By editor

The Internal affairs State Minister Gen David Muhoozi has said many of the alleged missing persons have never been reported to the Police and some are fictitious.

Gen. Muhoozi made the remarks while presenting a statement on the alleged enforced disappearance of persons during the plenary yesterday.

The minister, who presented the 311-page report signed by internal affairs minister Maj. Gen. (rtd) Kahinda Otafiire, said it is the law and official practice that for one to be declared a missing person, a missing person’s report must be filed.

Muhoozi said this can only be done with the Police, which was not done, and which is still being resisted by the people approached.

He added that some cases where Mpuuga attributed alleged disappearances to security operatives had been reported earlier by the relatives of these people as unwitnessed disappearances.

He also said the alleged missing persons’ next of kin have declined to give statements to the Police, making it difficult for the Government to conclude investigations. 

He cited Florence Nabakozza, the next of kin of Dennis Wangolo alias Shafik, whom he said declined to meet the investigators stating that she had got instructions from the National Unity Platform Party not to meet any person.

In response to the report, Mpuuga said he would make a rejoinder to the minister’s statement on Tuesday next week.

Speaker Anita Among said Parliament will take a decision on the report after the LOP’s rejoinder to the minister’s statement. 

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *